26 June 2010 | 2010.1, a new time-based work
I just finished the final rendering of the time-based work that I mentioned at the end of a previous post. I completed much of the work on this piece while in Salina.
The piece is a single-channel, 1920x1080, 24 fps, 25 minutes. Shown above is a 2-minute excerpt.
Here are some stills from the piece. Click on each for a full image.
Update: On the technical side, I used Side Effects Software’s Houdini and Adobe After Effects to create the piece. For the main surface, I used the Houdini Ocean Toolkit by Drew Whitehouse, based on the algorithms of Jerry Tessendorf. A custom shader was applied to the surface and an initial base rendering was created using Houdini’s hardware rendering. The base frames were rendered at 1.5 times final size (2880x1620). Those frames then were finished in After Effects. Total render time for 36,000 frames was approximately 250 hours.